Recent blog posts
Discord Nov 2021 to present
Senior Software Engineer
I work on Discord's React-based, cross-platform design system.
Aha! 2020 to 2021
Senior Software Engineer
I briefly rejoined Aha! to work on their design system, visualizations, and develop extension CLI.
Intercom 2018 to 2020
Product Engineer III
At Intercom, I began my work in foundations, on the Billing team, mainly working on Ruby on Rails. In the meantime I set up "Ask Me Anything" events so that engineers could learn from one another. When the billing team was moved to Dublin, Ireland, I was tasked with building and launching a new marketing site architecture. I also worked on analytics-related infrastructure, abuse prevention, and performance.
Sadly, the entire San Francisco development team was laid off due to COVID-19.
- Improved performance and spam-detection capabilities of our Rails → Redshift analytics pipeline
- Maintained a TypeScript client-side analytics library and the Rails API that backed it
- Built a framework allowing content authors to A/B test marketing site content without code
- Built and launched the new, React-based marketing site after rolling out a new content infrastructure
- Simplified critical billing codepaths and improved automated invoice reliability
- Ran weekly "AMA" sessions for the SF engineering team to improve knowledge sharing
- Audited and implemented privacy controls for analytics tooling to ensure GDPR/CCPA compliance
- Brought many pages of our marketing site to WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliance
Aha! 2017 to 2018
- Implemented web-based notifications to bring peace to user inboxes
- Rewrote the features board to drastically improve scroll performance
- Rebuilt our Zendesk integration in React+Redux
Teeps 2015 to 2017
Web Team Lead, Full-Stack Engineer
At Teeps, I was a full-stack consultant, primarily working on Ruby on Rails APIs and frontend web applications. I would work with clients and mobile developers to build apps, work out product-market fit, and maintain and improve applications after launch.
- Built an application that utilized Stripe Connect, GeoIP lookup, and complex scheduling to connect fishers and hikers to tour guides
- Built an online marketplace where people could borrow, rent, and buy goods from others
- Rewrote the Teeps marketing site in Rails with a home-built CMS
- Wrote a "handbook," detailing our methodology around pull request reviews, style guides, linter configs, preferred tooling, and API best practices
- Standardized the technical hiring process by creating unique take-home challenges and running both phone and in-person interview sessions
AgileSRC 2013 to 2015
AgileSRC was my first job in college, after a few years of doing freelance Ruby on Rails work during high school. I learned a little bit about working on a team, and shipped a few interesting projects. While I was there, I pushed hard for more modern tooling to be used, and was able to prove my case with increased productivity.
- Used React to visualize thousands of signal attenuation data points on a skymap
- Developed gift card redemption and management software for point-of-sale systems
- Designed and built several marketing sites to test product-market fit
- Built a purchase flow for a Unity plugin using Stripe